There was an error in this gadget

Friday, October 2, 2009

In Progress

The blog itself has begun, but I do so wish my speed would increase. Alas, it cannot, and so all I can do today is tell you that I am "in progress." I have several (yes I can never read one book at a time - a bad habit I suppose) books that I am currently working my way through, and I must tell you, they are equally interesting, and completely different from each other. Here's a bit for you to get your feet wet:

The Tao Of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff
Yes, this is about Pooh, Winnie-the-Pooh that is! Winnie the pooh and friends were my favorite childhood characters - and now there is a book about taoism with Pooh as the main character. The thought "huh?!" comes to mind. How could this adorable little, silly old, honey liking bear possibly know anything about taoism? That is the beauty of this book. The simplicity and thoughtlessness of pooh bear is the perfect example of taoism. So far in the book I have noticed, and learnt, that pooh bear upon waking in the morning does not think about his day or his week or all the tasks he must get done. He simply thinks its a good morning and than moves on to breakfast. If only we could all be so simple - we must surely learn from this "intelligent" bear how not to be intelligent...

Love Begins in Winter by Simon Van Booy
I must tell you I really like short story volumes. Growing up I was a big fan of novels. But ever since reading "Arranged Marriage" by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, I have become a fan of short stories. You can say so much, take up less space, and make an impact that stays forever (or at least for a really long time). The beauty of this particular book (love begins in winter) is that it has a European-esque theme through it, and yet seems to be based in the modern world. Not something seen so often (at least not in my world of reading). The main story in this volume (not surprisingly titled "Love begins in winter") is a beautifully written story about two people who meet by chance but who within their most inner souls know that they have somehow always known each other. They both have tragic pasts, and somehow an unspoken, unknown bond holds them together. At the essence of it, it is a love story - however, at deeper analyzation it is also a story of letting go, of moving on, of being able to love again. It is also about growing up and forgiving yourself. There are so many layers in this story that it left me quite satisfied. There is no "ending" just a page where the story leaves off, we don't know what eventually happens to the characters - but nor do we know what will eventually happen to us. It is a realistic story, a story of love, and how in reality it is all seamlessly bound. I have continued in the book and progressed through another story or so, but I know none will have an effect on me like the first. Although I must admit - the writer is a witty, sarcastic, and poignant one and has kept my attention to one book for quite some while! (a small success I would say :D)

The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie
So, this is going to be a challenge. MY first Rushdie book; MY first book club; Only 2 weeks to go. I picked up my book today from the local library - I have now joined their book club and will attend the first session on October 19th. Needless to say I am super excited, but a bit anxious too. Rushdie is no easy feat - and the Enchantress of Florence a bit outside my realm of books. I think of it as a mini hurdle, but I have confidence I will make it through! (I hope.. lol) Let's see what tale/adventure Mr. Rushdie can take me on...

That's all folks!
Until Next time..

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are liking "Love begins in winter". The Tao of Pooh sounds really interesting- especially because I love pooh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-D i love your comment on so many levels.. lol.. i think you would enjoy the tao of pooh, i'll give it to you once im done :)

    ReplyDelete