There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Kindle, Swami, and Tea.. Oh My!

So, I decided to put down the Ascent of Money after only one chapter. I decided classes were over and I wanted to read something that resembled textbooks a little less. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed whatever I read of it - but will continue at a later time.

Then came Christmas and I decided it was the time of year for a new toy! SO - drum roll please - I am now the proud reader of an Amazon Kindle 2!!!! :)
For those of you who love to read - this is so perfect. I was afraid I would not like it because it wouldn't hold like a book or smell like a book - and I have a bit over 300 books on my shelves. Lo and Behold I don't even feel like I'm reading on some device - it is a brilliant invention, and I for one am very happy with it. Unknown to a lot of readers out there are a few facts that made the Kindle experience (or hope it will in the future) better for me:
For one, I found a ton of pdfs (something like 80) for popular books that I absolutely adore. Adding the pdfs to the kindle is a breeze and takes only a few seconds via computer transfer. (aka I got 80 free books)
Secondly, Amazon allows you to share the books you buy for your kindle with up to 6 devices - this also means if another device by a close friend or family member is being used (say the iphone) they can get in on your account, and now the 2, 3, 4, 5, or even 6 of you can share those books.
The Kindle also comes with 3G wireless network - a benefit that allows you to do basic web browsing on your kindle - follow blogs (such as this), check e-mail, send e-mail, surf amazon.com, etc. etc. There is even a feature of listening to mp3 songs on your kindle (again a breeze to upload from your computer)

This is a device I highly, highly recommend to any reader out there - it is completely worth the investment! :)

And with my brand new kindle, I have started reading two books:

1) Swami and Friends by R.K. Narayan; this is very cute children's book that I never read as a child and really wished I did. It has all your basic kid themes: bullies, fights, friends, grandmother telling stories, etc. But the writing used by the author, along with the cuteness of the main character Swami is making this volume of short stories absolutely enjoyable! :)

2) Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin; a very gripping book right from the beginning. The imagery as written by Relin and narrated (I'm assuming) by Mortenson is absolutely phenomenol. I haven't gotten past 3 chapters yet because of the bustling holiday season - but I certainly hope to get much ahead on my 16 hour flight to India in a couple of days! The fact that this book is based on the true story of Mr. Mortenson makes it an even better read for me - I have been moving towards non-fiction of this sort lately.

Well, that's all for now folks! I hope to read a ton on my new, handy dandy kindle on this flight and two week vacation - after which I will be back, and updating this blog! :)

Happy end of 2009, and a Fantastic beginning to 2010 for all of you out there...

3 comments:

  1. I loved Swami and Friends when I read it after my 10th standard exams... The story stays with me to this day. Planning to start 3 cups of tea soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I wish I has been introduced to it a lot sooner than i was but it is still such a cute read :) I think you might enjoy three cups of tea! Happy reading :-D

    ReplyDelete