There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Knitting and Books

I never thought it would happen, but it has!

I have found something that holds my interest as much as reading does!! No, it is not television - I enjoy tv, but not as much or more than my beloved books. It is knitting! I recently joined a class and have learnt how to knit - I am still very much a beginner, but boy is it fun! I never thought I would ever have a hobby besides reading, because things usually don't hold my attention or are at a level where I usually give up. But knitting is really fun, really holding my attention, and has matched the enjoyment I get out of reading a good book.

Dexterity with my hands has never been a strong suit of mine and to now see myself knitting and actually progress in making my first project (a scarf) I am super excited! To be able to do something that I never thought I would be able to, I feel like one of the many characters I have read about who overcome their many obstacles. Yes life has thrown me obstacles I've climbed over or around before, but this was a skill I seriously thought I lacked and had never bothered to question. I can't explain the satisfaction of knitting any more than I can explain the satisfaction of reading something you never thought would interest you and finishing it! (Like any classic - for me specifically knitting this first project has been very similar to reading and finishing East of Eden by Steinbeck http://the-soul-searcher.blogspot.com/2012/05/reflection.html)

Between my Kindle and my yarn/knitting needles, I couldn't be happier with my hobbies and free time! Knitting and Books are now my two favorite things :)


2 comments:

  1. That's a great hobby and great progress already :) I want to get in line for a sweater sometime :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe.. I actually finished this project today (my first one) but it turned out to be just a sample piece! How about a scarf, hat, and then sweater? That's in order of difficulty :)

    ReplyDelete