"Always do what you are afraid to do" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Gift from the Sea

As the year ended, and a new one began, I slowly worked my way through a beautiful little book titled "Gift from the Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. She was the wife of the aviator, Charles Lindbergh. An aviator and author herself, Anne penned many books. However, this was the first one by her I ever came across. And it certainly grasped me in, shook up my feelings and thoughts, and left me a changed (for the better) woman!

My initial reaction to this volume is that every woman should read it. It beautifully doles out advice on life and marriage - our roles and "breaking the glass ceiling" - and so much more important ideas and concepts every woman should ponder. However, there are many more layers than what first meets the eyes. 

The next level is to recommend this piece of work to men as well. To understand how many, many women feel - especially those in marriages and other very close intimate relationships. Space is a concept that is very delicately and boldly handled throughout. And something said men would benefit from understanding. 

The final layer that I recognize and want to fully react to is what a poetically written book this is! I have to say that everyone who loves words must give this a go. I found myself doing something with a book, that I have only ever wanted to do with poetry before now - read with my lips and not just quietly with my mind! The words, the flow, the feelings it wrings out - I don't think I have enough of a vocabulary to accurately capture the emotions. 

I am glad to have found this book - happy accidents in life happen mostly with books for me - and for that I am ever grateful. It was the perfect end to a tough year; a beginning dripping with hope; a few words that for a short period of time took over my life and for which I am now a better person! 

No comments:

Post a Comment