"Always do what you are afraid to do" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, January 23, 2020

Fair Play by Tove Jansson

On a bright Saturday afternoon, as I unwrapped the package from New York Review of Books - not knowing what was to happen to me that evening - out came the three books I had ordered at the end of last year. I flipped through each of them and toted them up to my bookshelves to shelve away into the massive TBR piles I have amassed. But as I entered my room, I ended up being enticed by my desk and the (very) comfortable desk chair and promptly plopped myself down with these books among others already on my desk. 

As I opened the first pages of one of the books, I had no clue that I would read it straight through - and that a few hours later be closing the last page with a deeply satisfied sigh and a strong desire and premonition of re-reading this book for many years to come. How poetic, how lovely - one of the first books that has made me write down quotes and go on writing long musings about life and such! My journal was quite happy with the time I spent with it as well! With you, my reader friends, I share this beautiful book “Fair Play” by Tove Jansson and the quote that prompted me to fall in love with it: “do not tire, never lose interest, never grow indifferent - lose your invaluable curiosity and you let yourself die.”

I am quite glad it is the first book I completed as this new year began. 2020 is good, will be good, will be what I/we make of it. This book felt melancholy, yet so hopeful. Pregnant with possibilities, bursting with beautiful writing and filled to the brim with characters I felt like I knew. The time and place fell into the shadows, the depth of the story and human condition at the forefront and the universality of it all brought me into a mood of well-being. I hope this is a symbol - a symbol of similar great reads to come this year. A symbol of a beautiful new start. A symbol of finding myself as a reader, a writer, as a kind human being. A symbol of hope.

Here is to you, my friends, happy reading and happy new year!

2 comments: